Monday 22 June 2020

Mrs Whitmarsh's Caterpillar Diaries!

I hope you all had a good weekend and are safely enjoying the lovely sunny weather.

I have some exciting visitors in my house at the moment....5 little caterpillars!


They arrived last week and were smaller than the diameter of a 5p piece. However, they are growing fast and have already doubled in size!

We are observing them very carefully and using them to learn all about how butterflies are formed. I know already that the species of butterfly that my caterpillars will turn into is called a 'Painted Lady'.

I will be updating the blog regularly with their progress and with facts that I am finding out along the way.

In the meantime, what facts can you find out about caterpillars and butterflies? You might want to find out how many different species of butterfly live in the UK? Which is the most common species? Which is the rarest? Are any endangered?

If you're feeling arty, can you find a picture of a highly patterned caterpillar and create an observational drawing?

I'll update you in a few days with their progress!

No comments: